The project includes the final stage of the nomination of Lake Skadar as a trans-boundary biosphere reserve under the UNESCO Man and Biosphere programme. Partners on the project are NGO Green Home and INCA - Institute for Nature Conservation in Albania. Both partners have previously established a good cooperation in the frame of the project, which is funded by the EU Delegation to Montenegro and Albania under the IPA cross border programme, regarding the preparation of documentation for the nomination form.
The project will be implemented in cooperation with the Montenegrin National Commission for UNESCO, local authorities and communities in Montenegro and Albania as well as the relevant ministries in the field of environmental protection in these countries.
Activities to be undertaken by the end of 2013 include:
• Drafting the nomination form on the basis of results from previous studies prepared;
• Consultative meetings with stakeholders from both countries in order to reach agreement on:
- Zoning and extensions of the proposed biosphere reserve
- The most appropriate management mechanisms and protection of the lake
• Finalizing the nomination form
• Public presentation of the proposed biosphere reserve nomination form
• Approval by the relevant actors.
Expected results: draft and then the final version of the nomination form to which the content will come from existing results already generated in integral studies in both countries. The final result of the project should be finalized documentation disseminated to all relevant institutions of both countries in order to gain apply for designation of Lake Skadar on the UNESCO list of protected areas under the Man and the Biosphere programme.
The project is funded by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) through the Montenegrin National Commission for UNESCO Participation Programme for the year 2012-2013.
Project coordinator: Jovana Janjušević
More information at: email@example.com